EKG Testing Specialist Q&A
An EKG is a relatively simple and straightforward procedure for the diagnosis of heart diseases. Express Health ensures your well-being and helps to treat your heart conditions. For more information, contact us or book an appointment. Visit Express Health and get your EKG testing done. We have convenient locations in East Harlem NYC, Metropolitan NYC and Staten Island NYC.
Table of Contents:
An EKG, or electrocardiogram, is a common test that is used to measure the electrical activity of the heart. Doctors sometimes use EKGs to diagnose heart problems or to check the health of the heart after a person has suffered a heart illness. An EKG is also used to diagnose certain heart conditions, such as arrhythmias, or abnormal heart rhythms. An EKG can also be used to check the health of the heart after a person has undergone a heart surgery or a procedure to implant a heart device.
EKG services can help people assess whether their heart rate and rhythm are normal, which are important as a way of detecting heart problems and other conditions. An electrocardiogram (EKG) is a very common test given at a hospital or urgent care clinic to screen for many heart-related problems, such as abnormal heart rate or rhythm, coronary heart disease, and a previous heart attack, among other things.
During an EKG, electrodes are attached to the skin with special tape on the chest, arms, and legs; the wires are connected to a small machine that amplifies and records the electrical activity of the heart so that a doctor can review it. While the EKG records information and collects data, patients are asked to relax, lie still and breathe normally. The test is quick and painless; no electricity is sent through the body during an EKG.
An EKG does not require much preparation, but there are a few important things to know to get the most out of the appointment. On the day of the test, it is important to not put any lotions, oils, or powders on the chest. Because the hair on the chest will not allow the electrodes to stick to the skin, some male patients may need to have small areas of their chest shaved. It is also important for the patient to inform the doctor about any medications they are taking, or visit any walk-in services.
There are many things we can do to improve our health and protect our hearts, including:
• Do Not Smoke Or Use Tobacco — One of the best ways to improve heart health is to stop smoking or using smokeless tobacco. Chemicals in tobacco can damage the heart and blood vessels, and the smoke in cigarettes reduces the oxygen in the blood. Because the heart has to work harder to supply enough oxygen to the body and brain, this results in an increase in blood pressure and heart rate.
• Exercise Regularly — Physical activity is important for the heart to function properly, and is one of the easiest ways to improve heart health. 30 to 60 minutes of activity daily can lower the risk of heart disease, help control weight, and reduce the chances of developing other conditions that can strain the heart, such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and type 2 diabetes.
• Eat A Heart-Healthy Diet — A healthy diet can provide a number of benefits, including protecting the heart, improving blood pressure and cholesterol, and reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes. A heart-healthy eating plan includes:
• Vegetables and fruits
• Beans or other legumes
• Lean meats and fish
• Low-fat or fat-free dairy foods
• Whole grains
• Healthy fats, such as olive oil
• Maintain A Healthy Weight — Being overweight—especially around the middle of the body—increases the risk of heart disease and can lead to conditions, such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and type 2 diabetes, that increase the chances of developing heart disease.
Express Health Urgent Care is dedicated to providing you with all of your EKG services in one place. To speak with one of our specialists, call us or visit us today to book an appointment. We have convenient locations to serve you. We serve patients from Brooklyn NYC, Queens NY, East Harlem NYC, Manhattan NY, Coney Island NYC, Midwood NY, Nostrand NYC, Ridgewood NY, Metropolitan NYC, Staten Island, Greenwich Village NY, and surrounding areas.